the product that started it all

lancome baume baiser

as i near this here blog’s five year anniversary next month, i find myself reflecting on the crazy amazing ride that it has sent me on – and one that i am not ready to get off of anytime soon. when i think back over five years of posts (965 to date), there are a few products that really stand out in my mind and, when you think about it, that’s kind of an impressive feat considering how many different things i tear through on a weekly basis!

so, it dawned on me that long before there was a blog, there was a burning beauty addiction that would not quit, and there had to be just one product that started it all. i didn’t have to think too hard to drum up the culprit: lancome baume baiser – a cushiony dome-shaped lip balm that tasted like marshmallows. i found it in the pages of a glossy mag – instyle or lucky – and there was just no compromising, it had to be mine. sadly, it was limited edition from lancome back in 2007 and by the time i discovered it, it was sold out everywhere.

fast forward about 32 phone calls to lancome counters far and wide and one 25-mile drive later, i had snagged the balm and life was good. it’s around then that i realized that things were serious. i had probably spent more time securing that delicious little lip balm that week than i did doing anything productive at work, but boy was it worth it.

so, beauties, it begs the question: can you name the product that started it all? the one that led you on your slippery slope to beauty addiction? i can’t wait to hear your responses!

This entry was posted in lara, lips, skin and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Comments to the product that started it all

1. Gina says:

Congrats on (almost) five years! For me it was Benefit’s BadGal eyeliner – back in 8th grade!

oh, i definitely had a penchant for the benefit products back in the day (still do!) – so many fond memories.

2. Jennifer says:

In high school I was spending time with an older guy and he mentioned that there was something about Chanel lipsticks, not only were they gorgeous and smooth but they tasted good. Long story short his last girlfriend wore it and needless to say there was a lot of kissing going on. I was stunned a classic lipstick that tasted good, to a guy.

I had to have that. I ended up with Chanel’s Beige de Chanel. I loved it and as always it was discontinued years later. That lipstick seemed to propell me into a new world of beauty. I still miss that colour.

that is AMAZING – how crazy that a guy was the catalyst behind the lipstick that started it all?!

3. Georgie says:

NARS Dragon Girl. By no means my favourite red (or formula) but the one that started my lipstick obsession which soon morphed into an obsession with all things makeup and skincare. I already read up on new releases etc. but had never taken the plunge and purchased something that excited me. My grandmother took me to SpaceNK to buy me a present when I was about 17 1/2 and I wavered between Dragon Girl and Schiap for about 10 minutes before leaving with the latter.
    It was a whole 6 months before I bought another lip product – YSL Glossy Stain #9 – but since then my collection has expanded like crazy.

4. Karolina says:

For me, it was dior lipgloss limited edition (for summer 2007 I think). A beautiful silver pendant in shape of a heart with trillion little crystal beads around it :) I wore it proudly on my bag but my happiness didn’ t last for long- I was robbed by someone probably from my own class in highschool :(

5. casie says:

Youre too cute. I love this!!! And Im so happy for you and your upcoming blogiversary! Im having a hard time putting my finger on the product that sparked my love for makeup and beauty! Honestly, I can only think it started back with Kissing Koolers Strawberry Fizz… :)

omg i had those and i never even used them, just carried them around in my “purse” – further proof that a beauty addiction was brewing!

6. Judy says:

Way back in the 70’s it was Avon cream eyeshadow that came in little containers that you could stack together. The skyblue color was my favorite – so 1972! I’d also steal my mother’s little Avon lipstick samples, I loved the little shapes. Patchouli fragrance and clear lipgloss in glass containers with metal roller balls! Needless to say my tastes have evolved, but I still remember all those products fondly.