sonia kashuk core tools synthetic buffing brush

sonia kashuk buffing brush

major confession: i don’t clean my makeup brushes.

i know, it’s awful, but hear me out. i don’t clean them because whatever i clean them with, tends to break me out and they are never the same after washing. so, i buy them on the cheap and i toss them every couple of months. it’s definitely not the most cost-effective cycle, but it helps to keep my skin clear and the silver lining is that i get to test out many different options for you.

so…all is forgiven? good.

when my recent favorite started to turn on me, i was in a bit of a shopping pinch to replace it. normally, i would make a visit to ulta where there are wallet-friendly options aplenty, but i was already at target with mr. glossarie in tow. so, long story short, while i distracted him at starbucks (“ooh, major pregnancy craving, gotta have a mocha cookie crumble frappucino. oh, while you’re waiting for my drink, i’ll just pop into the beauty aisle…” works every time.) i hustled through the beauty aisles to view my options. let’s just say that there weren’t many! i quickly settled on sonia kashuk’s synthetic buffing brush for its domed bristles and tossed it into the cart on a wing and a prayer.

when i got it home and got to testing, i was blown away! the softness of the bristles falls somewhere between a traditional foundation brush and a stippling brush. it sweeps product onto my face flawlessly and without irritation. best of all, because the synthetic bristles soak up less product, my foundation is transported directly from my hand to my face without wasting any excess (previously lost to the brush gods). i’m able to use far less than i used to, meaning my foundations will go a lot further now. i also love that this brush actually allows me to build coverage. it adds in an extra layer in the areas that i need it, without undoing what i have just laid down. this has been a major frustration for me with brushes, but not anymore.

i am a big big fan of this brush and it’s definitely urging me to play around with more of sonia’s core tools. also, i’m curious to know how you apply your foundation – and please feel free to scold me for my failure to wash brushes in the comments. (shameful, i know.)

This entry was posted in tools and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Comments to sonia kashuk core tools synthetic buffing brush

1. Jennifer says:

I have been using a brush for foundation for some time. I was using some great travel Chanel brushes I got in some special gift package but after washing them many times they were done. I use a cheapie brush now that is surviving. Don’t love it and I don’t hate it. But it has stayed intact thus far. I think it’s an elf brush. From eyes lip face??
    I use Clinique brush cleaner currently. I like it because I spray it on the brushes then rinse them clean, maybe rubing just slightly if it’s really gunked up. Rinse and then lay flat. The cleanser smells strong which I do not love but the spray is great and it’s never bothered my skin. I used cetiphil cleanser, baby shampoo and soap but none cleaned as well as this does. My only brush cleaning compliant is the big brushes like bronzer brushes are so hard to clean and I worry about flattening them out wash after wash.

ugh, i so agree about cleaning fluffy brushes. they are just never the same! thankfully they stay nicer longer than my foundation / wet formula brushes. i’m loving the idea of the clinique spray cleaner and i am yet to play around with elf tools (but they are so cheap, i can’t think of a good reason why not!) – thank you for the recommendations :)

2. Anaid Lopez-Rivera says:

Typically I used the Real Techniques Buffing Brush with foundation. I am DILIGENT about cleaning all of my makeup brushes every Saturday morning with Dr. Bronner’s Castile Liquid Soap in the Tea Tree version to make sure I have adequately cleansed off all the bacteria. Not shaming… just suggesting! =)

ooh a second dr. bronners suggestion! i love the sound of the tea tree formula – i have added it to my list. and i’m a longtime lover of the RT buffing brush – such a good one!

3. Sharice Tan says:

The brush sounds amazing! I hope I can find one here in Qatar. I love your blog btw! Definitely one of my favorites <3

4. Lacey says:

I’ve heard great things about Sonia Kashuk brushes, but I’ve never tried them. I love my Real Techniques brushes. I use Cetaphil to clean my brushes. It seems to work fine for me and is gentle on my skin.

i am a BIG real techniques fan and i think some targets actually carry them. cetaphil hasn’t been powerful enough to get my brushes clean in the past, but i may have to give it another go!

5. Yesenia Aguirre says:

SAme!! Almost all brush cleaners break me out. Until I found a holy grail, Dr Bronners lquid soaps. Since I’ve started using it, i wash my brushes at least once a week and I have not had 1 breakout from the soap.

i have actually thought about trying dr. bronners! i might have to pick up a bottle – thank you :)

6. ame says:

I LOVE Sonia Kashuk’s brushes and her makeup bags are amazing. I also love EcoTools and It Cosmetics brushes.

I wash my brushes with Prell usually. That has yet to freak my face out and my face pretty much always freaks out.

it cosmetics makes a couple of my all time favorite brushes! i will have to look into prell – never thought about using actual shampoo. great suggestion!

7. Banafsheh says:

I prefer to apply foundation with my fingers and use brushes for powder, blush and bronzer. I am a big fan of Sonia Kashuk brushes! I have an assortment of sizes and they have all lasted me a long time. On occasion, I will buy a random brush if I am at Ulta or Sephora but I always end up going back to my Sonia Kashuk brushes and giving the other ones away. I don’t wash my brushes as often as I should (ideally I would like to do it at least once a week) but when I do (more like every 3-4 weeks), I use either Dr. Bronner’s soap or I use the Cetaphil bar soap (the liquid Cetaphil doesn’t get the brushes clean enough). If using the bar soap, I just gently run the wet brush back and forth over the bar of soap, rinsing occasionally, until no more color runs off. I don’t know if this is technically a good way to do it but my brushes are still going strong even after 2 years!

love, love, love the idea of using cetaphil bar soap – that sounds like a process that even i can handle! thank you for the great tip!

8. Lisa says:

I learned the best cleaning tip from a makeup artist, Use 91% rubbing alcohol, leaves the brush spotless and germ free and also dries almost instantly. My brushes last so long now and I never break out anymore! Give it a try! swirl brush in a small bowl of alcohol until brush runs clean, wipe on clean towel and dry for 5 minutes

this sounds like the PERFECT easy solution for me – i will definitely give this a try. thank you!!!

9. Pingback: mac prep + prime beauty balm spf 35 | the glossarie: a pretty little beauty blog

10. Tess says:

I just use my shampoo to clean my brushes. I figure if it doesn’t seem to bother me when I use it on my head, it probably won’t bother my face! So far so good!

I love expensive brushes normally…Laura Mercier and Bobbi Brown are my faves. But I do really, really like the EcoTools ones for a budget option.

i *might* have splurged on a $60 bobbi brown blush brush recently…still feeling a little bit like a crazy person over that purchase!

11. Cris says:

I would also recommend the Dr. Bonner’s soap to clean makeup brushes. You can really see all your makeup coming away and they have a variety of scents. I use the peppermint one and it makes my brushes smell so good. They even have one for babies which is really sensitive-skin friendly. And luckily they also come in tiny travel bottles so you can try it and see how you react before investing in a big bottle.

thank you, cris! so many endorsements for dr. bonners – i am definitely going to scoop up a travel bottle to see how i like it :)